Your woodworking plans

Friday, December 4, 2009

A DIY enthuiasts projects

It’s been a while since I last updated my blog.
I got a job you see, as a Manager/Maintenance/Supervisor for a block of flats overlooking the Durban Harbour.Sounded great and there was a one bedroom flat to go with the job. It was on the tenth floor too. Great I thought.The salary wasn't great but at least I had a job and I could ride my bike down to the beachfront after work.
I couldn't move into the flat right away as there were renovations to be done and it would give me a chance to see what the job was all about.
The 21 story building had been neglected for some time and I could see there were certain projects that needed immediate attention.

1) The water pressure from the local municipality wasn't filling the initial tank fast enough to allow even one pump to supply the demand of water for the 121 apartments
2) One of the two pumps pumping water to the 8 holding tanks on the roof wasn't working properly, one pump could do the job I thought.
3) The two entrance security doors were not closing correctly and people could walk though past the poor agitated security guard without the correct credentials.
4) The window putty holding the glass in the window frames had become loose in about 250 windows and there was a real possibility that many would fall out to the busy streets below.
5)There are two on site parking areas both with the roll up type of doors.The one was jamming in the open position and the other couldn't be opened manually if there happened to be an emergency.
6) There are 22 rubbish bins/containers where residents refuse is collected dialy and three times a week removed by the municipality.This area couldn't be washed down by the cleaning staff as the top of the tap was missing and it had been forced closed .
7) Of the six translucent panels covering the florescent lights in two of the lifts four were broken.
8) The third lift, a service lift had a mind of its own and would jam incessantly.It didnt seem to bother that there were people in transit or not.
9) The doors of the other lifts are infested with borer and never close on many floors thereby stopping on a floor until someone happened to slam the door shut, which wasn't often .The security Guard had to summon one of the cleaning staff to use the stairs on the fire escape to find the errant door and close it.
10) One of the brackets on an external rainwater down pipe on the eight floor had broken and the wind caused this pipe to sway ominously again presenting imminent danger to those below.
And this was just the beginning of a long list of things to do.

Fortunately I had access to a DIY manual as you do to right on this site and I referred to it right away!!
If you would like me to continue please post a comment. or e- mail me
Thanks





No comments:

Post a Comment