Your woodworking plans

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Warped wood solution

=
I recently offered to fix up a garden bench that lived outdoors and had taken a beating from the weather. It has cast iron sides to give it the classic bench type style and the slats between the ends were made up of +-15 strips of wood 70mm x 20mm x 1.500mm long.
The original varnish had long since deterioted and the once smart garden bench needed serious attention.
Fortunatly I read Tims blog before starting
This is what Tim does to straighten out warped wood.
“I have one big problem I run into from time to time. Warped wood… Primarily with the ¼ poplar boards I get.
Well I have found a solution that has worked well for me and thought I would share.
The first things you need:
Bath Towel
Iron (I have to sneak it past my wife)
2 pieces of flat (non-warped) wood (these should be a bit bigger than the warped piece)
Clamps
Now I soak the towel in water.
I will also dip the wood in water.
Wrap the wood in the wet bath towel
Iron the towel/wood (here I use the steam option)Flip the wood and do the same
Put the freshly ironed (no starch) wood between the flat pieces and clamp
Once clamped I will let the wood dry for a few days (depending on weather)
After drying the piece should be good to use or finished.”
Posted by Tim at http://woodwithtim.blogspot.com/

Thanks Tim I am sure others will be to use your methods on their projects when required.

For ideas on arts and crafts don’t forget to visit: http://woodworkingnews.blogspot.com/

Or just go fishing?
Visit: http://afishingtacklebox.blogspot.com/

Don’t miss the free gifts at the end of the page. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and help yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment